• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

JCRJM

2018 Sovereigns?

6 hours ago, augur said:

I think this bullion coin goes nicely with the 2017 bullion coin and since both have a very special privy mark (200/65th). 

Except that the description says these are proofs.

I sincerely hope they don't do another special proof next year - that will be ridiculous. I think putting privy marks on bullion Sovereigns is such a cheap, modern strategy for imparting some collectible value to these bullion strikes. The 200th anniversary privy mark was alright (I guess).

Imo a privy mark for the "anniversary of the coronation" is a bit too far; we just had the sapphire jubilee strike on the day in 2017 to celebrate the "anniversary of becoming queen".

Well if it's a damn proof I suppose I should start saving. I'm obviously going to succumb to the hype and give in to my FOMO :(

Edited by westminstrel

7 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

If the royal mint bring out another 3/4/5 designs/varieties again this year they will just be watering down the value and the historical importance of the sovereign. The royal mint are in charge on a national institution that is the sovereign and they are flogging if for all its worth and I think/hope it will just implode on them in the future

I could not agree with you more.

And if this is what the RM is doing now, I shudder to think what they'll do when the next in line finally ascends the throne :-/

Edited by westminstrel

1 hour ago, westminstrel said:

Except that the description says these are proofs.

It sometimes would  help if I was able to read 😊

Nothing preventing them to put a privy mark on the bullion, too. But if they put a privy mark on the proof, like the private mints, they probably don't have much planned for the sovereign. 

1 hour ago, augur said:

It sometimes would  help if I was able to read 😊

Nothing preventing them to put a privy mark on the bullion, too. But if they put a privy mark on the proof, like the private mints, they probably don't have much planned for the sovereign. 

Well then RM definitely going to have a tough time trying to sell these proof coins after milking the crap out of the collectors with how many varieties they offered for the 2017 proofs? Its pay back time!