• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Sovereigns?

FlorinCollector

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

No, you need lots of copper to toughen them up so they'll survive jingling around in everyone's pockets and shop tills.

Exactly. Why do they think that they need to be so hard wearing in an era when they aren't used? It doesnt make sense.

New sovereigns would be so much more appealing if they went back to a traditional gold colour.

13 minutes ago, Gradius said:

Exactly. Why do they think that they need to be so hard wearing in an era when they aren't used? It doesnt make sense.

New sovereigns would be so much more appealing if they went back to a traditional gold colour.

I agree, a little silver would work wonders, and also change the finish so that they are like the early Eliz 2 sovereigns.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

35 minutes ago, Gradius said:

That was the nice thing for me about this year's Indian Sov - the Indians obviously like their gold golden and so do I!

Well I’m pretty sure they will if Silver is not 6 times as expensive as copper [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

7 minutes ago, HyHy said:

Well I’m pretty sure they will do it if Silver is not 6 times as expensive as copper emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

There's 0.66g of copper in a sovereign. If you replace just 1/4 of that with silver, that's 0.167g of silver needed, or 7p worth.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

6 hours ago, SovTracker said:

Was told yesterday the 2018 Proofs will be out in November.

There will also be another Gold Sov I believe in December, maybe another Wedding Anniversary, longest Royal marriage theme?

I must admit I too am getting bored of the "same old" Proof Sovs. Maybe the Mint could add another 200 year privy mark with a +1 for interest.

Yes and that is a joke!

Please tell me you're being facetious about the additional sovereign in 2017? I think this year has had way too many variations already, and I feel like I need more money to keep up - although I will admit it's secretly exciting to think there might be one last Anniversary sovereign :D

Please tell me you're being facetious about the additional sovereign in 2017? I think this year has had way too many variations already, and I feel like I need more money to keep up - although I will admit it's secretly exciting to think there might be one last Anniversary sovereign [emoji3]
I'm afraid not! I believe there may be a Gold Sovereign to commemorate the 70th Wedding Anniversary - haven't seen one yet and the Mint don't like to miss an opportunity!
Then there's the 2018 Sovereign due November time.
I know its hard keeping up - what will 2018 bring?
More Queens Beasts and a Gold Sovereign with 1/2 milled edge + 1/2 plain edge. Then the the Strike on the Day for Georges first girlfriend at school, then there's the special one off BU one side and Proof reverse and finally the extra special rear with George facing to the left and the Dragon eating the sword.
Have I missed anything? Probably!

1 minute ago, SovTracker said:

I'm afraid not! I believe there may be a Gold Sovereign to commemorate the 70th Wedding Anniversary - haven't seen one yet and the Mint don't like to miss an opportunity!

Oh yes I could certainly see another SOTD sovereign happening 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

33 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

There won't be any more commemorative sovereigns (I don't think!), just crowns and sovereign-sized things with Gibraltar and Guernsey on them.

There should be one more 

sapphire jubilee

edit : wrong saying plantium jubilee I s 5 years from diamond 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

The 2018 Bullion Sovereign will be released on the 8th of January. I don't have the proof on my list of releases though. 

Bleyer Bullion is the South West's local bullion dealer, serving the whole of the UK by phone and online. Bleyer offers friendly, expert consultancy and welcomes face-to-face appointments with UK customers looking for a more personal service. Please visit us at: www.BleyerBullion.co.uk.

If the royal mint bring out another 3/4/5 designs/varieties again this year they will just be watering down the value and the historical importance of the sovereign. The royal mint are in charge on a national institution that is the sovereign and they are flogging if for all its worth and I think/hope it will just implode on them in the future

3 hours ago, AUric said:

22491990_2024602517775263_2943932023568055220_n.jpg

Somebody with a keen eye might be able to confirm that these are the full, half and quarter sovereigns. Somehow that screenshot must have leaked. 

I think this bullion coin goes nicely with the 2017 bullion coin and since both have a very special privy mark (200/65th). 

6 hours ago, augur said:

I think this bullion coin goes nicely with the 2017 bullion coin and since both have a very special privy mark (200/65th). 

Except that the description says these are proofs.

I sincerely hope they don't do another special proof next year - that will be ridiculous. I think putting privy marks on bullion Sovereigns is such a cheap, modern strategy for imparting some collectible value to these bullion strikes. The 200th anniversary privy mark was alright (I guess).

Imo a privy mark for the "anniversary of the coronation" is a bit too far; we just had the sapphire jubilee strike on the day in 2017 to celebrate the "anniversary of becoming queen".

Well if it's a damn proof I suppose I should start saving. I'm obviously going to succumb to the hype and give in to my FOMO :(

Archived