• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Sovereigns?

FlorinCollector

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I think they typically announce them around October? If I recall correctly, they announced the 2017 sovereign design last October.

Thank you ill make sure i hold buying pms for a bit then

2 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

it is going to be boring design + 475 pounds :ph34r: ..........

I know its nothing special but moving forward my strategy was goin to try get every years proof :/

it is going to be boring design + 475 pounds [emoji185] ..........

Well probably this time that will get that guy what’s his name again... Ah Louis Tamlyn to do something bombastic again... Cmmon guys do you really believe the RM has done milking with the 2017 design? We haven’t seen the Piedfort Double Sovereign and Five Sovereign coins yet [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

5 minutes ago, HyHy said:

Well probably this time that will get that guy what’s his name again... Ah Louis Tamlyn to do something bombastic again... Cmmon guys do you really believe the RM has done milking with the 2017 design? We haven’t seen the Piedfort Double Sovereign and Five Sovereign coins yet emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Prince Philip retirement sovereign , strike on the day mintage 500, selling for 2k

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

31 minutes ago, JCRJM said:

Thank you ill make sure i hold buying pms for a bit then

I know its nothing special but moving forward my strategy was goin to try get every years proof :/

Doesn't sound like the best strategy if you don't mind me saying :ph34r: 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I'm actually still wondering how no one at the Mint thought of using the 1817 shield back design for the 2017 Half Sovereign too. After all, it's the 200th anniversary of the sovereign's little brother as well. It would have been a super special coin that most Sovereign collectors would want.

14 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

I'm actually still wondering how no one at the Mint thought of using the 1817 shield back design for the 2017 Half Sovereign too. After all, it's the 200th anniversary of the sovereign's little brother as well. It would have been a super special coin that most Sovereign collectors would want.

Totally agree. Disappointed not to see the shield design for the 2017 half sovereign.

12 minutes ago, JCRJM said:

Would u explain why ud not do that mate?

2013 sovereign issue price £390 selling on Ebay £350 - fees

2014 sovereign issue price £390 selling on Ebay £365 - fees

2015 sovereign issue price £360 selling on Ebay for the same, but - fees 

etc

Since they're all the standard design, nothing very interesting, I can't see why they will go on to have any meaningful premium in the next 50 years either

If it's a unique design like the 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012, 2017 they're well worth getting, or it has some other kind of unique quality like the SOTD's this year then sure, might be worth getting 

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

2 hours ago, Kman said:

etc

Since they're all the standard design, nothing very interesting, I can't see why they will go on to have any meaningful premium in the next 50 years either

If it's a unique design like the 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012, 2017 they're well worth getting, or it has some other kind of unique quality like the SOTD's this year then sure, might be worth getting 

Ok would u help me on this then.

would u not buy at all?

buy under release price hopefully on secondary market?

just buy the bullion each year and only buy proofs of special sovs?

I agree with @Kman. Unless it's a special sovereign or potentially if you are celebrating some personal anniversary, there's really no point in spending your money on proof versions annually.

You can get just one definitive design taking into consideration  the obverse and reverse (there are five QE II portraits now). But for the most part, I wouldn't buy a proof just for the portrait variation. I would for the different reverse designs, which during QE II's reign have been in 1989, 2002, 2005, 2012, and 2017.

Also consider the Brilliant Uncirculated versions. They are typically cheaper than Proofs and in my opinion, sometimes look better than the Proofs (this is subjective).

1 hour ago, JCRJM said:

would u not buy at all?

That's typically my policy atm I have to say lol

In the past couple of years I've only bought the 2017 proof & SOTD sovereign, also an Indian 2017 sovereign for not much over spot 

I just buy what I think is likely do well, if nothing is released I think will do well I just wont buy anything

9 hours ago, Kman said:

Special available at Apmex only reverse proof sovereign set :ph34r:

I know you're joking but since the new Unicorns were announced, I've been religiously checking Govmint.com, MCM and Apmex.  When the proof Unicorn was released, somehow Govmint.com had a flash sale of special labeled PF70 Unicorns like a week or so after their announcement by the RM.  I got wind of it from Silver ByTheOz (on YouTube), went to the site and they were nowhere to be seen and have never seen them since. I'm bound and determined to snag a special labeled slabbed MS70 of the 1/4 oz Gold this go around.

9 hours ago, Kman said:

etc

Just be ready to use your children's University fund and perhaps a portion or all of your soul to the devil to pay for the proof Sovs he mentioned.  I actually decided to not go after any of those because acquiring all of them now will take more money than I can even think about putting together and you could buy a good number of other "rare" (using the new Marsh Sovereign guide) Sovs with the same funds.  Just my standard $0.02  

Kman is correct though, spending the extra cabbage on a standard proof isn't worth it (in my humble opinion).

4 hours ago, Jester said:

Just be ready to use your children's University fund and perhaps a portion or all of your soul to the devil to pay for the proof Sovs he mentioned.  I actually decided to not go after any of those because acquiring all of them now will take more money than I can even think about putting together and you could buy a good number of other "rare" (using the new Marsh Sovereign guide) Sovs with the same funds.  Just my standard $0.02  

Kman is correct though, spending the extra cabbage on a standard proof isn't worth it (in my humble opinion).

Oh I didn't mean to buy them now

I just meant if a special design is released in future like those mentioned it will probably be worth picking one up 

• 3 weeks later...

Was told yesterday the 2018 Proofs will be out in November.

There will also be another Gold Sov I believe in December, maybe another Wedding Anniversary, longest Royal marriage theme?

I must admit I too am getting bored of the "same old" Proof Sovs. Maybe the Mint could add another 200 year privy mark with a +1 for interest.

Yes and that is a joke!

26 minutes ago, Gradius said:

Does anyone think the mint will ever go back to a less copper based alloy? I just find the colour of the modern sovereigns so ugly. They look not far off a new 1p.

No, you need lots of copper to toughen them up so they'll survive jingling around in everyone's pockets and shop tills.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived