• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The best timing for purchasing a product.

Hyunchul

Hi, I would like to hear some opinions about the timing for purchasing a product. 

I'm not talking about spot price or fx rates. 

If a new product launches, would it be better to buy it right away or do you wait and see what happens?

If you have the information on the mintage, it would be easier to make a decision but if you don't, how do you decide when to buy?

Help me out ladies and gents. 

7 hours ago, Hyunchul said:

Hi, I would like to hear some opinions about the timing for purchasing a product. 

I'm not talking about spot price or fx rates. 

If a new product launches, would it be better to buy it right away or do you wait and see what happens?

If you have the information on the mintage, it would be easier to make a decision but if you don't, how do you decide when to buy?

Help me out ladies and gents. 

I am relatively new to collecting, I did notice that some would purchase a new coin with a low mintage, for example, £800, the following month would sell it on eBay at the " reduced price" of £1400. I suppose it could quite easily go the other way. 

Best collect as much information as possible before purchase, then at least you can make some sort informed decision. 

5 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

If it's a limited mintage product with a fairly low premium on release, it's usually best to buy immediately, as the premiums tend to drift upwards over the first few weeks.

Very true, but you have to be selective on what to buy IMO.  The Royal Canadian Mint for example is notorious for releasing limited mintage whatever, constantly.  It must be a good money maker for them (and others). 

The real trick I guess is getting a good feel of what will be popular before its popular.  Easier said than done I think.

50 minutes ago, tbone said:

Very true, but you have to be selective on what to buy IMO.  The Royal Canadian Mint for example is notorious for releasing limited mintage whatever, constantly.  It must be a good money maker for them (and others). 

The real trick I guess is getting a good feel of what will be popular before its popular.  Easier said than done I think.

I agree entirely.

The large increase in the number of series being issued over the last 3-4 years makes it almost impossible. The only release in the last 2 years that I was confident would appreciate quickly was the Perth Mint Swan and typically I was skint when that came out.

This is a very specific example

I liked the SOTD 2017 full sovereign, I knew Chards had them, I waited to see how quickly they sold out at the Royal Mint before buying to help gauge(gage?) interest 

RM sold out in a day and a morning. 

With that and the level of interest on here I knew it would be a good bet 

They were £525 from the mint and now selling anywhere from £650-750 BIN atm on Ebay; I think we're starting to get out of the time-range of quick flippers, so I expect prices to start going up 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Sorry fact is that 95% of everything that is available for sale will lose money. The small number of items that make money are truly exceptions.

Generally, the system is rigged against all of us in terms of making money. Most coins available for sale as new items have high margins built in for the seller already. It is very rare that anything is left on the table for the second or third buyer.

When it does happen, it is very pleasant and of course knowledge and acting in a timely fashion can reduce the odds under some circumstances.

Archived