• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Decimal Changeover

JohnA

Maybe someone can give me more information on when circulated coins changed over. I have the proof sets from 1970 and 1971 and they are old and new coins. But circulated coins apparently changed in different years. 1967-68 some coins. Not sure about all.

Here is the Royal Mint information. http://www.royalmint.com/discover/decimalisation/the-change-to-decimal-coinage

I believe that the new 10p and 5p coins were put into circulation from 1968. They were the same size as the shillings and florins. Decimal day was in 1971. Beyond that I'm unsure I'm afraid. I'm sure there are others that are far more knowledgeable then me. 

If you haven't already found it http://www.predecimal.com is well worth a look. 

I remember seeing shillings and florins occasionally, when visiting my grandparents as a little boy. They preferred to give me older coins as I guess it reminded them of days gone by. I much preferred putting those in my piggy bank. I often wonder if any of them were silver? 

There were no circulating coins minted in 1970. Just the proof sets.

The 2 shilling coins in the 1970 set are an English shilling and a Scottish shilling. 

As @Ansel says the 5p and 10p were introduced in 1968 and ran alongside the shilling and florin. This was probably to get people used to them. They had 5p and 10p on them but were worth one shilling and 2 shillings, until they became worth 5p and 10p on decimal day.

The 50p was introduced in 1969 and replaced the 10 shilling note.

Hope that helps. 

26 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

I guess this 1970 Proof Set was a special edition. Since the circulated coins stopped being made in 1967

That's correct. To confuse you further, the Shillings & Florins were still in circulation until 1992-3 and used as 5p and 10p values. I distinctly remember spending a florin with George VI's head on in the early 90's.

I remember my dad telling me about the new decimal coins and how they were different. A far as I can recall it went something like, "there're used to be 240 pennies in the pound but there are only 100 now" However went you are 4, 100 is the biggest number ever!

Archived