• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

question about sovereigns

Peacemaker

Hi guys, just received my second full sov from Atkinsons, my first was a 1974, just received a 2011 and its more copper looking than the 1974, anybody know the reason they are not the same colour? 2011's colour is fairly ugly compared to the 1974, cheers.

Each Sovereign contains 7.3219 Grams Of Gold
Sovereigns are constructed of 22 carat gold OR  91.76% purity

The remaining 8.24% of renaming metal is 'variant' material that gives the colour appearance differences

Different material is used in the modern sovereign to what was used in the older sovereign.

They still both hold the same amount of gold

Ask a jeweller because you can buy different colours of gold including white gold.
It's all in the alloy but a sovereign must contain the correct weight of gold to make it 22ct.

I also think the way the Mint press their coins might have changed as not only do they appear a different, more coppery colour, they have an extremely high glossy look these days. Personally I prefer the matt finished older coins.

On 9/7/2017 at 07:38, Paul said:

Each Sovereign contains 7.3219 Grams Of Gold
Sovereigns are constructed of 22 carat gold OR  91.76% purity

The remaining 8.24% of renaming metal is 'variant' material that gives the colour appearance differences

Different material is used in the modern sovereign to what was used in the older sovereign.

They still both hold the same amount of gold

Why does NGC Coin melt value of a Sov say $311? When I use a gold calculator and do 7.32 g of 21.6k says $279. Just curious thanks! 

22 hours ago, Shoba said:

When I use a gold calculator and do 7.32 g of 21.6k says $279

15 minutes ago, Shoba said:

Yeah I saw that but that is 24k then?

You need to get your head around this if you're going to be buying gold coins.

Sovereigns:

weight of coin; 8g coin (near enough) of 22ct gold. Therefore pure gold content = 22/24 * 8 = 7.32g  or 0.2354 Tr. oz.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

17 minutes ago, Shoba said:

Yeah I saw that but that is 24k then? 

24 karat gold is 99.9% pure gold. 

Sovereigns (like the gold American Eagle) are 22k gold which is 91.67% gold. The Sovereigns are sized such that the gold content works out to 0.2354 oz of gold. 

Thank you I understand the AGE's concept, how they weight more but are only 22k I just didn't understand that when you say .2345 oz of gold you actually are referring to 24k even though they are made of 22k. I unserstand now. Thank you. 

On 9/7/2017 at 13:34, sovereignsteve said:

modern bullion sovereign's finish and colour is crap, end of.

for collecting purposes, they're a waste of space, stick to modern proofs or older bullions.

I like my 2017s, but I think you've hit the nail on the head of why the Indian Certicard Sovs look so glorious  - the finish and colour.

However, out of interest, why do you feel modern proofs are better than bullion (aside from the obvious proof aspect)?

I'm a newbie but would guess they're struck from the same (if not very similar) blanks, no?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this :)

On 15/09/2017 at 01:22, kimchi said:

I like my 2017s, but I think you've hit the nail on the head of why the Indian Certicard Sovs look so glorious  - the finish and colour.

However, out of interest, why do you feel modern proofs are better than bullion (aside from the obvious proof aspect)?

I'm a newbie but would guess they're struck from the same (if not very similar) blanks, no?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this :)

I have a feeling that the proofs are stuck using different dies which have a sharper / better defined profile / cameo.
There is considerably more care in the pressing and the coin could be subjected to multiple strikes of the press.
The blanks are spotless and cleaned carefully before entering the press.
Then the coins are carefully inspected and handled and not dropped into a coin hopper like regular bullion coins.

57 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have a feeling that the proofs are stuck using different dies which have a sharper / better defined profile / cameo.
There is considerably more care in the pressing and the coin could be subjected to multiple strikes of the press.
The blanks are spotless and cleaned carefully before entering the press.
Then the coins are carefully inspected and handled and not dropped into a coin hopper like regular bullion coins.

Thank you very much, very helpful :)

I have no idea how they'll fare over time, but I must say the Certicard India Mint seem absolutely a cut above the modern (as new) other bullion Sovs I have (a number from this year). The striking seems much more careful, and the colour of the coin more golden, so I wonder if the alloy difference is key. Don't listen to me though, I'm a beginner here! :)

13 hours ago, kimchi said:

Thank you very much, very helpful :)

I have no idea how they'll fare over time, but I must say the Certicard India Mint seem absolutely a cut above the modern (as new) other bullion Sovs I have (a number from this year). The striking seems much more careful, and the colour of the coin more golden, so I wonder if the alloy difference is key. Don't listen to me though, I'm a beginner here! :)

You are right I've got one and they are very very nice

Archived