• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Imperfect new sovereign - luck of the draw?

Goldhooked

I hadn't really given this a second thought at first but have been dwelling on it since yesterday having received my first sovereign.

Its a new 2017 sovereign purchased from one of the popular large dealers.  There is a dimple on the queens face (see pic below) and I'm wondering if this could affect the value if you look at it from a grading perspective.

Is this the sort of thing I can request an exchange for?  Should I bother even asking?  Or is it just the luck of the draw?

IMG_4236.JPG

it's a bullion sov and they're not guaranteed to be perfect, although I'm sure most dealers would probably replace it for you.

some would regard it as a mint error!

it's not a coin you would want to grade but even if you did, in theory, as it's something that was mint produced, it shouldn't affect the achieved grade

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I've got in to this from more of a stacking perspective so I'm not personally bothered about the slight flaw.  It's just my business head wondering if I could get more in the future for it if it was perfect.

If I did exchange it I would have to pay for Special Delivery to return it which adds to the overall cost.  If the flaw makes very little difference then I may as well keep it.

To be fair, Atkinsons were great with me when I purchased a Lion QB 1/4 oz.  They asked me to wait a little longer because all the QBs were coming in scratched and they didnt want to send out a poor product.  I did receive a quality QB when it arrived.  They will have so many sovs in stock I cant imagine they would not trade it.  If it bothers you (it would me) for the sake of a few quid offer to pay the postage.  If they have any idea of customer service they should not really refuse.  There will be a lot of people they can sell it to who are just stacking for weight.  

Bullion coin,bullion value,personally I'd just ignore it...................am somewhat surprised when you talk about value from a grading perspective...........why would you consider grading a standard bullion sov such as this????..........just curious as I would consider it a far greater waste of money than paying special del postage if you wanted to replace it for a better one......

Bullion coin mate. As long as I was assured it is gold in content, I would not be concerned with physical appearance. If your into collecting, most co

ectors hate new sovs unless they have something to distinguish from usual shite, a privy mark, cartoon design like 2005 etc. Excuse my cinicism but I will continue to stack on (unless I see a no brainier like 2017 proof sov, anyone want one for £800? Lol)

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

10 hours ago, Ravinella said:

Bullion coin,bullion value,personally I'd just ignore it...................am somewhat surprised when you talk about value from a grading perspective...........why would you consider grading a standard bullion sov such as this????..........just curious as I would consider it a far greater waste of money than paying special del postage if you wanted to replace it for a better one......

Sorry, excuse my noob-ness, I didn't mean grading by NGC or PCGS, I meant more from a "in perfect condition" or "great condition but has a slight flaw" description when I come to sell it.  Or does this not really come in to it with standard bullion?

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Bullion coin mate. As long as I was assured it is gold in content, I would not be concerned with physical appearance. If your into collecting, most co

ectors hate new sovs unless they have something to distinguish from usual shite, a privy mark, cartoon design like 2005 etc. Excuse my cinicism but I will continue to stack on (unless I see a no brainier like 2017 proof sov, anyone want one for £800? Lol)

Does the "200" shield mint mark for the 200th anniversary count as something different?

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

Does the "200" shield mint mark for the 200th anniversary count as something different?

the jury's out on this one I think. it is "different" and does mark out this year but I don't think that will matter much going on as there will be loads of 'em minted and there are a plethora of other issues this year to keep the collectors happy.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived