• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2017 Indian sovereign availability?

Gradius

13 hours ago, Kman said:

UKBullion (apparently another site of theGoldBullion) has them @ £281 but not sure about codes

If they sold 49 at £350 fairly quickly why would they sell these for £280? 

Doesn't seem true does it. 

Perhaps they got more stock in at a lower price. However, UKBullion have misled me (or worse, perhaps) at least four times now, so I suspect it was simply that they weren't selling enough at that crazy price.

They always show only up to 50 in stock. I don't believe this (never have).

The clear message I got when they restocked were 'they are selling crazy fast, you best buy now!' as I posted on here. Well, they are lovely coins, but that's not true is it if they have suddenly dropped the price £50 today, and now an apparant sister company suddenly has loads of 'discounted' stock too.

I will be examining these coins for my relative very carefully indeed, as UKBullion previously said there were quality issues with some.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

.............fancy packaged, hyped bullion..........:rolleyes:

Maybe, I think they're lovely myself so don't mind an extra 10% premium on these. I don't see the hype (is there any? - I thought UKBullion only sold out of these so quickly because of the interest on here), and then tried to fleece anyone and everybody on the second lot. That hasn't worked so they've dropped the price to 'roughly about acceptable' - to sell their 'almost 50 available but buy them quick because they're selling out fast!!!11!! - which has been their mantra since the first day they got the second lot in, but funnily enough the stock levels don't go down and now they pass off the rest to their sister company).

I just think the companies who got them got greedy and started treating people like trash (as I feel I have been) until they suddenly need some custom (?).

Tldr; yeah I think you're right! -_-

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

OK maybe just hyped on here:P

They were seriously hyped originally by virtue of the ridiculous price.

extra 10% above a standard bullion coin is more like it and possibly worth it.

Have u got 1 :ph34r:

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

16 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Ha ha, of course I have one, I have some of everything, you know that!:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

No I don't because you told me your back garden are full of dog poo instead of sovereign wall 

Some very interesting info from the CoA from a 2014 half Sov very kindly posted by @augur here:

Seems like as mentioned they have indeed long been a popular part of Indian weddings but only under the MMTC-PAMP deal have these coins been 'real' Indian Sovs for the first time since 1918, instead of imitations.

14 hours ago, Numistacker said:

Loving the frosting on the date and I never seen this on an India Sovereign before

you probably won't be surprised to hear that I disagree with you on this one!:P

Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist but they're taking an iconic design and making it look gaudy and tacky. The "I" is far too big as well imo. You can tell which market this coin has been made and targetted at.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist but they're taking an iconic design and making it look gaudy and tacky. The "I" is far too big as well imo. You can tell which market this coin has been made and targetted at.

The dies for these Sovereigns are produced at the Royal Mint in London and provided to the MMTC PAMP facility in India for striking. The coins also undergo the annual Trial Of The Pyx.

There are also numerous examples of variations on historical Sovereigns re letters, alphabets, spacing, and even the length of the horse's tail.

So if anything, I would think the variations (probably) make these coins, or at least the 2017 India Sovereign, extra special. 

Maybe!? Who knows! 

Regardless, I personally think the 2017 India Sovereign is a beautiful coin for a bullion strike.

21 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

The dies for these Sovereigns are produced at the Royal Mint in London and provided to the MMTC PAMP facility in India for striking. The coins also undergo the annual Trial Of The Pyx.

There are also numerous examples of variations on historical Sovereigns re letters, alphabets, spacing, and even the length of the horse's tail.

All true but doesn't conflict with what I said.

22 minutes ago, westminstrel said:

So if anything, I would think the variations (probably) make these coins, or at least the 2017 India Sovereign, extra special. 

Maybe!? Who knows! 

Regardless, I personally think the 2017 India Sovereign is a beautiful coin for a bullion strike

Extra special? different? As you say, matter of opinion. You like it, I don't;)

Your opinion is as good as mine:)

I just think the "I" and date look "wrong" but that could just be because I'm so used to seeing the traditional format.

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

you probably won't be surprised to hear that I disagree with you on this one!:P

Have you seen one in hand? looks really nice  to me 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 minute ago, Kman said:

Have you seen one in hand? looks really nice  to me 

No. Ideally I would like to but there are some very nice photos on here. I would actually like to see some photos of the 2017 India and London bully coins side by side. The general finish of the Indian looks nice but I just don't like the frosty date and mint mark.

I don't have the camera to take a pic of both side by side alas.

I'm a sov newbie but I like the particularly golden colour (no doubt for the Indian market?) of these compared to the unc 2010s and 2017s I have. The pic on the UKBullion product page is the closest I've seen to in the hand. @LewisRichards pic is very good but the colour has come out more like the modern British ones I have for some reason. I'm a simple man who likes my gold as golden as possible lol, like my good old 1888 or even modern bullion Brits.

I'd found it hard to imagine there was as much domestic market for these as @shortstack68 suggested earlier, but according to @augur's CoA on the 2014 half, they are traditional at Indian weddings, so it seems he was spot on. Luckily India has a very small population so the mintage should be very low :wacko:

38 minutes ago, kimchi said:

The pic on the UKBullion product page is the closest I've seen to in the hand. @LewisRichards pic is very good but the colour has come out more like the modern British ones I have for some reason. I'm a simple man who likes my gold as golden as possible lol, like my good old 1888 or even modern bullion Brits. @shortstack68 @augur'

The colour has come out slightly different with this photo. Think it has something tondo with the light hitting the plastic before I took the photo. And maybe my camera making u on the colour a bit maybe.

18 hours ago, kimchi said:

I don't have the camera to take a pic of both side by side alas.

I'm a sov newbie but I like the particularly golden colour (no doubt for the Indian market?) of these compared to the unc 2010s and 2017s I have. The pic on the UKBullion product page is the closest I've seen to in the hand. @LewisRichards pic is very good but the colour has come out more like the modern British ones I have for some reason. I'm a simple man who likes my gold as golden as possible lol, like my good old 1888 or even modern bullion Brits.

I'd found it hard to imagine there was as much domestic market for these as @shortstack68 suggested earlier, but according to @augur's CoA on the 2014 half, they are traditional at Indian weddings, so it seems he was spot on. Luckily India has a very small population so the mintage should be very low :wacko:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6161691.stm

small population :ph34r: 

Archived