• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

PVC/flimsy plastic envelope

Markh

1 hour ago, Markh said:

Thanks in advance

When I purchase either 925 or 999 silver objects off eBay... it could be small token bars or coins they arrive in them flimsy plastic/PVC envelopes.

Now my questions are these ok for long term storage. 

they say not and that the plasticisers in pvc and similar soft plastics cause residues and "corrosion" or "toning" of some description. I don't know what the alleged timescale is but I've never observed any problems in practice.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

When my old man gave me his collection a couple of years ago they had all been kept up the loft for 40 odd years in pvc flips and there was no damage to any of the silver coins.

A couple of the bronze and copper had gone a bit green and were stuck in the flip but nothing major and no idea if this was down to the pvc or other atmospheric conditions.

5 hours ago, KevinG said:

Only for short term. I believe @Numistacker uses SAFLIPS they are made from polyethylene terephthalate.

Thank for replying.

I just had a thought.( It gave me a headache lol )

When I've purchased in the past... tubes of various silver coins, some have arrived partly filled due to odd numbers, and the bullion dealer stuffed bubble rap in tube to stop the coins from rattling around, does the bubble rap contain any of the harmful elements that will react with silver. 

Sorry if this is a numpty question. Its just I don't want me semi numismatic coins getting spoilt, if possible.

Archived