• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Cleaning vs Conservation

JohnA

Why is it ok that NCS and others can use chemicals to conserve coins, but if we do that they are "detailed"?    

If we knew what chemicals they use, couldn't we use them and pass the dreaded "details" grading?

Not that I would want to "clean" a coin :D

And NCS does use various chemicals, as seen in this lab photo from the video.  

Untitled.jpg

Of course they use chemicals to "clean" the coin, there's no other way of doing it.

It would be interesting if someone de-slabbed a NCS conserved coin and re-submitted it for grading as raw. I'm sure we would see some hypocrisy-pie served in abundance:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Not sure if this is correct. I think it's the hairlines ( especially if they are close parallel lines) left on the coin as a result of wrong cleaning technique that results in them giving the coin a details grade.

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Of course they use chemicals to "clean" the coin, there's no other way of doing it.

It would be interesting if someone de-slabbed a NCS conserved coin and re-submitted it for grading as raw. I'm sure we would see some hypocrisy-pie served in abundance:D

Yeah...I was thinking that too. Send a coin to NCS only. Get it back then send it to NGC.   

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Not sure if this is correct. I think it's the hairlines ( especially if they are close parallel lines) left on the coin as a result of wrong cleaning technique that results in them giving the coin a details grade.

I guess according to this it is ok to clean a coin. Just not too harshly. 

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/details-grading/

• 2 months later...

@Numistacker ... hi, will NGC just Conserve coins without grading? And what is the cost, if so?

I am getting a 4 coin set in the OMP and Box. I would like to leave them as is but have them Conserved. They will have some tarnish. They are 1997, so I think it's best to have them Conserved, as apposed to an older set, like 100+ years where the toning would be ok..

I read somewhere on they're site I think it was that all coins going through conservation go automatically to grading afterwards

There's also a film n YouTube of where they use one of the products.

Archived