• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

full sovereigns newbie

darrol

I am buying 1oz krugerrand and britan,s they seem to be easy to understand as someone that's new and wants to invest in   gold , But I also want to start collecting full sovereigns and as a newbie I can't get my head around where to start,   They are so many types of coins and dates some are rare and some come graded   ngc   with a high price. I have a some questions that I would like to know but if anyone else can give me some advise for a newbie who wants to invest in full sovereigns ,

When buying full sovereigns should I buy a mix of different sovereigns or should I stick to one type?

Is Ebay a good place to buy and sell ?

For someone that's new  how can I learn or get an idea of the value  so I'm not paying over the odds for the coins ?

Should I buy the coins sealed and graded  with NGC ?

Ask yourself why you are buying?

If you're a stacker, buy the cheapest sovs you can get, either from here or somewhere like HGM.

If you suspect you have collecting tendencies, don't buy a thing until you've read everything you can about them, or maybe buy a couple of cheap bullion ones (see above) to get your feet wet. See what you like then go from there.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I guess there are lots of different approaches! And priorities may change with time. Mine were wealth preservation/savings and that hasn't really changed for me so far, but it might!

I started of with Brits too as they're strightforward and easy to understand like you say, but since I got my first sov I haven't looked at anything else! They're about the 'right' price for me, a good store of value, have great liquidity, then there's the proven historical interest and price history, the potential to turn collector later on...

I started with some new 2017s from Atkinsons and was over the moon. It's the anniversary year so one of the years you'd want as a 'key' year, and you can't go wrong with such a reputable dealer from my experience so far. I haven't really been tempted to start a collection yet so am just happy adding more 2017s when I can. Might be a 'safe' place for you to start?

I've also picked up a few very nice 2010s from a gentleman on here who had a good trading history.

On ‎02‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:46, sovereignsteve said:

Ask yourself why you are buying?

If you're a stacker, buy the cheapest sovs you can get, either from here or somewhere like HGM.

If you suspect you have collecting tendencies, don't buy a thing until you've read everything you can about them, or maybe buy a couple of cheap bullion ones (see above) to get your feet wet. See what you like then go from there.

I feel I want to buy gold to invest and I don't want all my money in the bank so I like a range of investments and this would be something new ,  Which is the best for investment stacker or collector?   I feel if I buy  gold coins  that they will be some collector value to them know matter what the condition  of the  coins so won't that draw me in to collecting side .?

I've just started with gold after a short while stacking silver. For me it's mainly about putting my spare cash somewhere that is hopefully better than a crappy low inter st isa. Just got my first sov, a 2014, but they appeal to me as they seem to be easy to move on if I should need to. They seem to be the easiest of all gold coins to sell so far from my reasearch!

Beautiful coins too. Bought a 3 gram gold panda as well as the sov, but thinking about offloading that to get another sov. 

2 hours ago, NorthBen said:

I've just started with gold after a short while stacking silver. For me it's mainly about putting my spare cash somewhere that is hopefully better than a crappy low inter st isa. Just got my first sov, a 2014, but they appeal to me as they seem to be easy to move on if I should need to. They seem to be the easiest of all gold coins to sell so far from my reasearch!

Beautiful coins too. Bought a 3 gram gold panda as well as the sov, but thinking about offloading that to get another sov. 

I have some full sovereigns on order  to stack but I have my eye on a proof sovereign too which I want to collect , I have a set amount I want to spend of gold I like to invest in different markets , The gold is much more hands on than any other investment I have but it also feel fun which is good ,

Archived