• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

gold coins

darrol

Would like some advise in buying gold coins for the first time ?

This would be my first gold investment and I am really looking to buy 1oz Britannia gold and maybe   1oz krugerrand  .   I am looking to buy about 10 coins over a two year period .

I would also like to know reputable places to buy gold coins in the uk?

There's a couple of ways:

1. This forum will always have better prices than the main dealers, but obviously most people are private sellers.
  2. Hatton Garden Metals, Chards, Atkinsons, BullionByPost are all big, established dealers.  You will pay more for the peace of mind that they can offer you.
  3. Google searches - read the reviews of various companies and go from there.  For a bullion 1oz gold coin, a premium of around 5% or less should be your target.

Also, depends on where you live.  Coins with a Sterling denomination (UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, and - I believe- The Islands that once made up St Helena and Dependencies) are Capital Gains Tax free here in the UK.

Welcome to the forum @darrol

I concur with @Clens92 Atkinsons would be my choice. 

If you wanted a close look at a 1 oz gold britannia this video just went live on my channel!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I am in two minds should I look at getting preowned or new , I have noticed with preowned I don't think they have actually pictures of the coins so I guess its some what a lucky bag of the condition of the coin .  What do your guys with experience think ?

I'm a US coin dealer, so I don't have specific UK advice on how to buy gold locally.  But I always offer this advice to any first time gold/silver buyer:  always buy the physical gold (coins, bars, etc), and promptly take delivery of the item(s).  Do not buy a gold promissory note, or other piece of paper saying you "own the gold," but it's sitting in XYZ Warehouse for your safe keeping.  I've found that most people can safe keep their valuables just fine. 

5 hours ago, darrol said:

I am in two minds should I look at getting preowned or new , I have noticed with preowned I don't think they have actually pictures of the coins so I guess its some what a lucky bag of the condition of the coin .  What do your guys with experience think ?

I was a bit like yourself, the same situation. I bought 4 1 oz gold Brits from Atkinson, sold them shortly after and bought Gold Sovereigns instead, haven't looked back, Sovereigns are pretty awesome. Also extremely versatile when it comes to liquidating.

Archived