• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

If you were going to stack just one series of coins

Myblueheaven

Out of curiosity if you were to stack just one series of silver coins and nothing else, what would you choose ?

I'm pondering over Britannias, Perth Lunars, Kooks or Roos.

I have already chosen Sovereigns as my gold choice although I bought a 1/20th panda off @StackerMike so I failed on that quite quickly.

I suppose this is curiosity and help in swaying my choice as I just want to keep things simple for now.

I'm still learning so I understand if this question makes your eyes roll !!!

Any thoughts appreciated

Myblueheaven

If I was only to buy one series of silver coins it will be between Chinese silver panda and Australian Lunar 2,
I have owned and sold all of these coins and done quite well out of both of them,
It all depends on what your goal is,
I like stacking gold sovereigns
I need to because they're easy to move on if you need money,

If I was to choose a series, it would have to be something with big variation such as lunars, wildlife series or queens beasts or similar.

My favourites at the moment (im new so getting giddy about lots at the moment!) are the cook islands bounty coins, which I am contemplating trying to source different years etc. But as much as i like those, I still wouldn't want a full stack of just boats!

As for the best series from an investment point of view, I have no idea. I tend to get coins main reason because I like them.

7 minutes ago, StackerMike said:

If I was only to buy one series of silver coins it will be between Chinese silver panda and Australian Lunar 2,
I have owned and sold all of these coins and done quite well out of both of them,
It all depends on what your goal is,
I like stacking gold sovereigns
I need to because they're easy to move on if you need money,

Thanks for you thoughts.

I must admit I'm leaning towards the Australian lunar series 2.

Yep love the sovereigns so will continue to buy them, will probably acquire all sorts of different dates.

I do like the Gold panda I got from you, I plan to keep hold of that for the long term as its my first gold panda !!

If i were to chose a series mentioned i would go for the Perth Lunar. They are a high quality coin not renowned for developing milk spot. 

I think the Panda has shot its bolt since the mintages went up to 8 million. 

You can pick up a full Lunar II for not such a lot. You can amass a decent number of ounces just collecting a full series.

With the Kooks they have not appreciated in price a great deal which means you can get a full 1oz series right back to the beginning for not such a lot.

i would add some other series. The Australian Black Swan started this year. It took dealers and many here by surprise. It proved to be a very beautiful coin and very popular. i hear it is going to be a series. If that is the case this could be a winner to collect. The first coin is a bit pricey but get that and you can collect the full series.

Another is the Australian Stock Horse. It has been running for a while now but you can still get the previous years' coins and then go forward.

ps - i would not get Queens Beast BU 2oz silver - they are plagued with milk spot. i would not get any Canadian mint coins other than for spot prices.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 minutes ago, boon said:

If I was to choose a series, it would have to be something with big variation such as lunars, wildlife series or queens beasts or similar.

My favourites at the moment (im new so getting giddy about lots at the moment!) are the cook islands bounty coins, which I am contemplating trying to source different years etc. But as much as i like those, I still wouldn't want a full stack of just boats!

As for the best series from an investment point of view, I have no idea. I tend to get coins main reason because I like them.

Cheers Boon

I forgot about the Queens beast, think I've ordered one of these with BYBs August haul so will decide after I've seen it, but yes they may be quite collectable.

I suppose there lots of different opinions and views but being new to the game these views are really helpful.

Myblueheaven

13 minutes ago, sixgun said:

If i were to chose a series mentioned i would go for the Perth Lunar. They are a high quality coin not renowned for developing milk spot. 

I think the Panda has shot its bolt since the mintages went up to 8 million. 

You can pick up a full Lunar II for not such a lot. You can amass a decent number of ounces just collecting a full series.

With the Kooks they have not appreciated in price a great deal which means you can get a full 1oz series right back to the beginning for not such a lot.

i would add some other series. The Australian Black Swan started this year. It took dealers and many here by surprise. It proved to be a very beautiful coin and very popular. i hear it is going to be a series. If that is the case this could be a winner to collect. The first coin is a bit pricey but get that and you can collect the full series.

Another is the Australian Stock Horse. It has been running for a while now but you can still get the previous years' coins and then go forward.

ps - i would not get Queens Beast BU 2oz silver - they are plagued with milk spot. i would not get any Canadian mint coins other than for spot prices.

Cheers Pal

Your post is much appreciated and very helpful

Myblueheaven

29 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

exit strategy? time frame?

legal tender?

making a profit is only good if you are able to

hold onto any profits you make.

HH

Holding onto them for a while or until I can make a profit on them to flip for sovereigns. No rush to sell quickly

Do you mean "stack" as invest in multiples of a yearly issue, from just one series? Or stack as in just assemble a single full backdated set?

If i was starting out right now, i don't think i would begin stacking any of the long established series. Starting off, i would assemble just a single set of the series you most like, to get going. Meantime keeping an eye out for fresh opportunities like the Silver Swan to really "stack" and get in on the ground floor (the window of opportunity is short, though, for ones like these and you need to be super quick and decisive).

In answer to the hypothetical though, if i really had to pick just one series to begin stacking/investing... and nothing else?....i would wait 2 years and go-to-town on the Perth lunar 3 series. Blow the annual budget on the full range up to 10oz, including a number of rolls of .5,1, and 2oz.

12 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Do you mean "stack" as invest in multiples of a yearly issue, from just one series? Or stack as in just assemble a single full backdated set?

If i was starting out right now, i don't think i would begin stacking any of the long established series. Starting off, i would assemble just a single set of the series you most like, to get going. Meantime keeping an eye out for fresh opportunities like the Silver Swan to really "stack" and get in on the ground floor (the window of opportunity is short, though, for ones like these and you need to be super quick and decisive).

In answer to the hypothetical though, if i really had to pick just one series to begin stacking/investing... and nothing else?....i would wait 2 years and go-to-town on the Perth lunar 3 series. Blow the annual budget on the full range up to 10oz, including a number of rolls of .5,1, and 2oz.

Think i'm going with the Lunars.

Stack as many as I can and wait for the right time to sell, even if its years.

My main goal is to stack sovereigns so any silver profits will go towards more sovereigns.

I stack eagles and nothing but eagles.

early on, I liked a little bit of everything. Bars, rounds, coins, unfinished Scottsdale bars (rough), etc. 

i went through the paces and learned, and had fun with the variety of it all. Then my last year of college was about to start and I was in a financial crunch. My car decided to quit on me, I ended up having to put my dog to sleep because he was old, losing weight, white blood cell count was dropping and pissing blood. 

As cheerfull as that sounded, I had absolutely zero money for books. I sold my piece of crap car for $175. I was short $400. I sold my pathetic silver stack and had $78 left over to last me a month. Bus fare and caffeine is what it went to as well as the occasional sandwich. 

I was lucky to have my stack because I didn't have the income, there was no way in hell I was asking my parents for it, and there it was. My safety net. That's what my stack is to me. I'm not a collector. Perceived value beyond speculated value of the metal itself means nothing to me. Sure, they're pretty to look at, but if I had an emotional attachment to every bill and coin I've ever spent in my lifetime I wouldn't be alive and none of the necessities in life would have been provided for. That's how I view silver. Sure you can collect it. I just assume collect stamps, lol- they all fit in a book & you can have thousands & they don't weigh a ton, lol!!!!

so yeah- I stack eagles. I don't mess with bars anymore. I buy my silver from the local shop 2 miles from my house and I have them test each eagle. Saves me the trouble. It's cheaper and more reliable than flea-bay! If the silver predictions for the next few years hold true, I may yet fill a monster box! It's a buyers market to be sure. I'll sell and convert to gold when it's time- then refill the monster box.......happy stacking / collecting!!!

5 hours ago, sixgun said:

Agree - lovely coin series but for some reason the series stopped prematurely after 2017 i.e. only 5 years ( half the planned run ) produced.
See this extract -

" ..... The Perth Mint has a history of striking limited run bullion coins for some of the bigger dealers around the world. In early 2013, the debut coin in what was purported to be a new ten-coin series launched and became a near instant hit. Produced for a large German dealer, EMK Munzen & Edelmetalle, the Australian Stock Horse is a standard silver one-ounce coin with a mintage limited to just 10,000 pieces. Early coins were struck in 0.999 silver, but from 2016 onwards the mint has carried on its process of moving over to 0.9999 fineness. As of 2017 it has been confirmed that the series will end after five coins, so our guide is complete. .... "

Preview of Perth Mint coinage posted elsewhere on the forum.

http://agaunews.com/perth-mint-debuts-latest-2018-bullion-coin-ranges-lunar-kookaburra/

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I would also go with the lunar series, great coins, different sizes and great quality. I would also stay away from Canadian mint coins, bad quality and milk spots! Unless you can get them for near to spot. I know I say this but I get a maple each year to add to my date run, my first coin was a 2011 maple so I decided to back date and get the full set so now I can't help but not get the new one now ? 

Not a fan of the Perth lunars personally. The Panda is still a decent range. Lots of the others like the Somali Elephants and Rwandan African Ounces can be pricey when you go back a few years. I think the British Lunars or the Queens Beasts are good choices. Both have a finite run which is always a good thing I think.

Mik

Kooks for me, although a strong case could be made for Lunars also.

Not a huge fan of Pandas, even though they have done the best historically I don't see this continuing, and I don't like that they are 30g.

Britannias all day long for me , can get the older designs for not too much money so easy to back date and get a full run and by far my favourite series . Just a shame that they are now using the same design every year.

Archived