• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Q: Cleaned/Detailed Coins and Grade

JohnA

So, if a coin has been cleaned or has surface scratches or polishing, does it even matter after that how much of the surface and design of the coin remain? Or is there still a value? I guess it's a subjective question because a person might just want to collect for the detail on the portrait, etc.    

I am collecting older British coins. I think back in the day that people just cleaned the silver coins with polish as they were doing their other tea pots, etc. :)     

But anyway. I am buying on eBay now and sometimes, or mostly, it's hard to judge. Here is a coin I am bidding on. The picture is hard to tell what color the coin is. It'looks maybe the few spots on top are what's left from polishing. But the surface detail looks good. I don't think it's a stock photo judging by the buyer. I'm not gonna go crazy over this bidding.It's at $15.50 with 2 days to go.    

I don't know if I am allowed to link to an eBay listing, so I'll just take a pic. 

Untitled.jpg

If you just love the coin and the design and want to hold it in perpetuity, then definitely pick it up but watch that the seller isn't still trying to collect the same premium as if the coin wasn't cleaned or in a Details grade.  If you're putting your collection together as an investment to be sold at some point in the future for whatever reason, then personally, I'd steer clear of coins in that condition.  I can't speak for other collectors but as soon as I see even something like "Cleaned at some point" or a slab with a Details grade, I make a U-turn and don't look back.  Maybe for the much much rarer issues, there are so few examples left in circulation perhaps it makes sense to pick one up in Details grade just to have the coin in your collection but from what you've shared, I don't think that's where you're at now in your journey.

When I first started collecting, I wanted all my coins to be blast white regardless of age (I thought that's what a coin in high grade condition should look like).  Now, older coinage that doesn't show some signs of its graceful maturity don't really appeal to me as much.  For the coins/period you've mentioned being interested in, I don't think there's a reason you should have to settle for cleaned or Details (if graded) coins.

Ok..I have to be patient...like I said I was gonna be. I'm probably not gonna find a "deal" on  AU coins that I want. I'm just gonna have to find a good dealer and pay the price.

15 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

www.rpcoins.com, I also have an MS60 1887 florin I might let go of

Ok..I check
How does it work...when I click on a topic it goes no where

Archived