• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Duties

Xander

Has anyone on the forum been forced to pay import duties on a couple of 1/4 oz Gold coins from Apmex? UPS are demanding £43 import duties before they release the coins, it just seems a bit much. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

1 hour ago, Xander said:

Has anyone on the forum been forced to pay import duties on a couple of 1/4 oz Gold coins from Apmex? UPS are demanding £43 import duties before they release the coins, it just seems a bit much. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

Ask them for a detailed breakdown of all charges.
There should not be any VAT or import duty on gold coins provided they meet the VAT free regulations on gold content and cost over spot or numismatic conditions.
There could be VAT on shipping charges say 20% of ~£40 plus a fixed rate deferment fee., but that still seems a high charge.
Perhaps they are requesting import entry processing fees and UK delivery ?
Apmex should have shipped door to door and not just to the airport of entry so maybe UPS are trying it on ?
If UPS want you to instruct them to clear the goods tell them that you will clear the goods yourself by simply providing the correct customs tariff commodity code.
Please check you can do this as it has been many years since I used to do this.

Just then a ring and tell them its investment gold. They should email you a form to compete and then they'll release with no charges.

I'm assuming it's just gold plain bullion you bought.

14 hours ago, morezone said:

Just then a ring and tell them its investment gold. They should email you a form to compete and then they'll release with no charges.

I'm assuming it's just gold plain bullion you bought.

Thanks, apologies for not replying to your post. Yes, it's only two 1/4 oz gold coins, I will try and phone them, cheers.

On 8/27/2017 at 23:22, Pete said:

Ask them for a detailed breakdown of all charges.
There should not be any VAT or import duty on gold coins provided they meet the VAT free regulations on gold content and cost over spot or numismatic conditions.
There could be VAT on shipping charges say 20% of ~£40 plus a fixed rate deferment fee., but that still seems a high charge.
Perhaps they are requesting import entry processing fees and UK delivery ?
Apmex should have shipped door to door and not just to the airport of entry so maybe UPS are trying it on ?
If UPS want you to instruct them to clear the goods tell them that you will clear the goods yourself by simply providing the correct customs tariff commodity code.
Please check you can do this as it has been many years since I used to do this.

After 2 delivery guys from UPS turned up at my front door today and demanded £43 cash from my wife before handing over the package, it turns out I ordered two plastic coin capsules with my coins, UPS informed me the capsules were liable to duty/tax which amounted to 20 pence, by the time they added their brokage fees it came to £43. If I was to add that kind of % onto my customer's bills I would be in prison...UPS= legalised extortion. Cheers.

54 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

That's disgusting! So what ended up happening?

My wife ended up giving them the money, she didn't really know what was going on, she phoned me at work, I made about six calls to them, all they did was pass me from pillar to post. I contacted Apmex to let them know how these people are treating their customers. I think I can say bye bye to my money.

Should not be anywhere near £43.  You'll get an invoice within the next week or 2 with a detailed breakdown of the charges.

https://www.ups.com/gb/en/shipping/zones-and-rates/additional.page

If tax was 20p or so, their fee should have been £11.25.

For anyone else thinking of importing gold.  Never ever import gold with anything else as it complicates the customs clearance procedure.

Archived