• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Voyageur: Special Bullion Coin commemorates 150th anniversary of Canada

coinosseur

The Royal Canadian Mint honors the 150th anniversary of the Canadian state with a special bullion coin in gold and silver. The "Voyageur" is valid in Canada, but is explicitly designed as an investment coin, thus enhancing the Royal Canadian Mint's product portfolio with Maple Leafs as well as animal motifs.

The five-dollar fine silver coin "Voyageur" is reminiscent of a historic Canadian silver coin, which was put into circulation in 1935 to the 25th throne anniversary of King George V. The modern interpretation from the year 2017 as well as the historical original shows a "Voyageur" and an Indian, who paddle together in a canoe.

In the background, there are strokes to show the vast, untamed wilderness of Canada. There is also a variation in gold. In addition to the historical motif, the RCM also ensures continuity in the design of the remaining areas of the coin: the ultra-precise radial lines on the front and back of the coin serve as a counterfeit detection feature and create a special glimmer. The maple leaf with the number "17" in the center of the leaf is also to be found as microgravur on the coin.

The look is strongly reminiscent of the other Bullion coins from Canada - and also the packaging is well-known: the coins are sold in a monster box with 500 coins and carry the Canada 150 logo. The coin will be available from September for a short time. Ony 15,000 pieces in gold and 250,000 pieces in silver will be minted, both coins are sold close to the spot price.

I like the RCM and plan to pick up a few when they are released.

It is a bit sad that the RCM has a bad reputation for milk spots. To be honest I have gone through a monster box and pulled out less than 25 coins with milk spotting, so I don't buy that their coins are notorious for spotting, if anything they are my foundation coin for three reasons they are popular in my location, they have security features and they are 9999 silver.

3 hours ago, coinosseur said:

The coin will be available from September for a short time. Ony 15,000 pieces in gold and 250,000 pieces in silver will be minted, both coins are sold close to the spot price.

:lol: :lol: Let's wait and see how much extra we Brits will have to pay !!

Whew...those mintage numbers (15,000 pieces in Gold and 250,000 pieces in Silver).  I guess not so surprising for a commem.  That said, this will be one you buy because you enjoy the coin's design and not because it's going to be a short-term/long-term financial winner in your PM portfolio (not at those mintage levels anyway).

Whew...those mintage numbers (15,000 pieces in Gold and 250,000 pieces in Silver).  I guess not so surprising for a commem.  That said, this will be one you buy because you enjoy the coin's design and not because it's going to be a short-term/long-term financial winner in your PM portfolio (not at those mintage levels anyway).

Yeah with those numbers it will be priced at bullion prices hopefully, which makes them a nice foundation coin.

Archived