• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on starting to flip with £100 only

Myblueheaven

Hello all,

I was left an amount of money recently from the death of a close relative.

I want to take £100 of the money and see how much I can build it buy buying and selling.

I am looking for advice on my first purchase on this venture ( I have other gold and silver which is just to stack).

So any advice on any of the following items would be greatly appreciated.

-- Australian Kangaroo 2017 or 2016,   4 set proof boxed set. 3000 mintage  £115

--1oz silver proof Wedge-tailed eagle with box & coa. 10,000 mintage £62

--1oz silver kookaburra 1997 Zurich privy. 2500 mintage  £56.60

--1oz silver Britannia  2016 Brexit colored shield. 1000 mintage  £38.50

-- 1oz silver Australian Swan 2017. 25000 mintage.   £45

-- 1oz silver 100 cedis leopard 2017. 5000 mintage.  £32

Cheers folks   Myblueheaven

I personally think privy is just an easy way for the mints to make money (take a common koala or kook or whatever and slap a privy on it..Bam! Instant "rarity").  I won't pay a premium for it, and so I personally don't think others will down the road. ("privy pimpin" as shadow stack would say, he's right).

The best way I know to flip is to get the right coin, right when it comes out.  When the swans first came out, Apmex had them for a reasonable price.  Same with the dragon and phoenix.  Same with the gold libertads.  Early bird gets the worm.  But most releases are probably going to be duds.

Also, check out @Numistacker and Shadow Stack's youtube videos on avoiding collecting disasters (more for longer term collectors but good to know)

And Shadow Stacks video

I'd pretty much avoid everything you listed.  Here's why:

Scottsdale 100 credis leopard - This is an attractive coin but pardon the pun, the cat's been out of the bag for some time on this one.  It's just as @tbone said, pick up the right coin right when it comes out.  Could there still be upside left to it?  Sure that's a possibility but the certainty is you're late to the party on this one.

Perth Mint Swan - See comments about Scottsdale leopard.  

Brexit Britannia - It's a bullion Britannia with a sticker on it and an inflated price tag.  "No, it's colorized"...no, it's a sticker and so you're buying 1 of 1,000 stickers.  It's misleading at best for them to say only 1,000 minted.  While some collectors like colorized coins, from what I've seen and observed here on the Forum it's more of a novelty than a serious collector's piece.

Kook w/ Privy Mark - tbone already nailed this one.  Again, there are certainly collectors who go after every privy mark for one or more series of coins but in my opinion, it's another way for the Mints to create an artificially "rare" coin.

Perth Roo Proof Set - If you're going to buy Roos in hopes of having a coin other collectors are seeking to purchase, I'd suggest looking at the Royal Australian Mint's (RAM) long-running Roo series.

Also, where will you be selling your coin(s)?  If eBay is your platform you can go ahead and knock 13% off the price the coin sells for (between eBay and PayPal fees).  You could sell it here on the Forums but this is a much more informed group of buyers/collectors and if the coin is indeed hot, there's a good chance a number of members already own multiples (and you won't be able to charge eBay prices).

So what should you buy to flip?  I have no idea.  I tried it once with slabbed/graded Perth Australia Stock Horse coins and got burned bad (I still have two if you want to pick them up ;)).  If you're already a Gold and Silver stacker/collector, my advice would be just to buy more in that space.  It's highly unlikely you're going to see significant gains only playing with £100 ("It takes money to make money").  It's more likely you'll end up pissing it away chasing the FotM and either get in after all the appreciation's been wrung out of a particular coin or the hype evaporates and you're left holding a bargain bin coin.  Just my two conservative cents...

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do.  Be sure to keep us in the loop as you take the plunge!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

I know £100 is not much money so I may wait for the next new coin to come out.

I've spent approx £250 on BYBs August GS.be haul,  so in September I will buy another Sovereign.

Just thought I'd have a play with £100 on my rest days.

I'll watch some more youtube vids. More knowledge needed eh !!

5 hours ago, Jester said:

So what should you buy to flip?  I have no idea.  I tried it once with slabbed/graded Perth Australia Stock Horse coins and got burned bad (I still have two if you want to pick them up ;))

Take it you don't work in sales Jester ;), ( I obviously don't before you say it )

Regards

Myblueheaven

Wait for the Royal Mint to release the next 'Peter Rabbit' coin.

By which I mean a coin with a lot of interest that sells out instantly that you can then flip for 5x what you paid.

Being on forums like this can help a lot. I'm also a member on CoinTalk and in early 2008 someone posted a topic about a suspected mule error with the new 20 pence coins. I then went on eBay and bought one for £6, before they hit the news and were then going for 100s!

2 minutes ago, eddyk said:

Wait for the Royal Mint to release the next 'Peter Rabbit' coin.

By which I mean a coin with a lot of interest that sells out instantly that you can then flip for 5x what you paid.

Being on forums like this can help a lot. I'm also a member on CoinTalk and in early 2008 someone posted a topic about a suspected mule error with the new 20 pence coins. I then went on eBay and bought one for £6, before they hit the news and were then going for 100s!

That' weird or maybe a sign LOL

I was just watching shadow stack talking about Peter Rabbit coins when you posted that !!

Thanks for your advice

Myblueheaven

Playing with £100?

I do this sometimes by betting the lot on over 0.5 goals in play on football matches once the odds get to 1.10 (1/10) 

7 winning bets in a row just about doubles your money, cash out, then start again.

Most consecutive winning bets I've had is 27.

7 minutes ago, CarlosSilver said:

Playing with £100?

I do this sometimes by betting the lot on over 0.5 goals in play on football matches once the odds get to 1.10 (1/10) 

7 winning bets in a row just about doubles your money, cash out, then start again.

Already got my bets on for today !!   

Huge footy fan and love my Saturday fix of throwing away some cash to the bookies, had some good wins last season tho !!

Wow 27 in a row, that's some going !!

Never tried that system but I will have a play with it , thanks

Myblueheaven

£100 will get you 5 x one ounce silver coins - Eagles, Maples etc if prepared to look around.
Silver is cheap right now and gold has risen back to near £1,000 per ounce so you cannot get 1/10 oz for £100 today, adding in delivery.

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

£100 will get you 5 x one ounce silver coins - Eagles, Maples etc if prepared to look around.
Silver is cheap right now and gold has risen back to near £1,000 per ounce so you cannot get 1/10 oz for £100 today, adding in delivery.

Yep i agree, I was just thinking of doing something different with £100 other than the usual bullion coins.

Myblueheaven

What to do with £100?

Best option is to save more and start with £250 and buy a sovereign. If you get bored with it you can sell it easily and you may make £10 or lose £10 depending on how the wind blows.

If you only had £100 and you were going to add to the stack each month then 2oz Beast bullion coins or lower mintage silver bullion kooks or special britannias but consider it as savings not a double your money opportunity. 

You could do something like 2.5g Pamp gold bars. You could also consider a 2017 1/20th Libertad gold BU

@stackermike is selling some beautiful graded pandas and at the prices being asked they are a great buy for a longer term investment and might even give a profit on a quick resale.

7 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Buying to flip............Not a great idea and especially not with just £100, at this level you'll be looking at silver only and mass produced silver at that. Most of us know where to locate the cheapest silver, even selling it online through eBay would maybe reap a whole 20p reward, is it really worth the hassle?

Selling your silver on the forum and people will expect to buy at the same level as the cheapest they could find online, i'd be rethinking your flipping plan seriously, it would be better to buy for yourself and holding onto it for at least 12 months. Personally i find that there's a lot of greed in precious metals, so many people try and do the same thing that i just tend to look the other way.........

Privy pimping is another area that i'd leave alone, numistacker recently sold a couple of pimped NGC graded 2015 Britannias and lost maybe $50 a coin as he thought they were the IN coin of the year but they obviously weren't, these types of coins are just another way for mints to try and make even more money from buyers, so you'd best leave these alone or you could find yourself in a hole before you start.........

Collect for yourself in the immediate term and just hold for a little while and forget about quick turnarounds unless you're going to invest thousands and try and flip a greater amount.

Some wise words from shortstack68 (hate to admit that) but he is right. Better to drip feed into a stack and consider it a 5-15 year investment Even then fashion is a bitch and todays cool items are yesterdays has beens.  Dont be suckered into buying hot items too late at the highest price, buy items at auction or from other members here at low prices. Buy in tranches of £200-£500 a time every few months and in a few years you will have a massive useful store of wealth that gives you life options.

By the time a coin is in the news its too late - its like shares - you need to be the first buyer not the last buyer and with £100 its almost inevitable you will lose and pick badly at the beginning. It might be better advice to buy old USA or UK gold thats over 100 years old at ebay or other auction and just pay more than someone else. When you come to sell that coin will be in demand and desirable unless you buy something very common. Think about buying pre-33 from a dealer in Germany or old gold like a half or full guinea.

If you are wedded to silver buy low mintage silver from a good mint the moment it comes out african series are popular. Think about saving postage by using @BackyardBullion group buy and get coins at the lowest issue price and wait patiently.

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

Some wise words from shortstack68 (hate to admit that) but he is right. Better to drip feed into a stack and consider it a 5-15 year investment Even then fashion is a bitch and todays cool items are yesterdays has beens.  Dont be suckered into buying hot items too late at the highest price, buy items at auction or from other members here at low prices. Buy in tranches of £200-£500 a time every few months and in a few years you will have a massive useful store of wealth that gives you life options.

By the time a coin is in the news its too late - its like shares - you need to be the first buyer not the last buyer and with £100 its almost inevitable you will lose and pick badly at the beginning. It might be better advice to buy old USA or UK gold thats over 100 years old at ebay or other auction and just pay more than someone else. When you come to sell that coin will be in demand and desirable unless you buy something very common. Think about buying pre-33 from a dealer in Germany or old gold like a half or full guinea.

If you are wedded to silver buy low mintage silver from a good mint the moment it comes out african series are popular. Think about saving postage by using @BackyardBullion group buy and get coins at the lowest issue price and wait patiently.

Thanks for your advice Numistacker,

I have a silver order with BYB for August so I'm on that one, Some 1oz Kooks, 2oz Q beasts & 2oz Libertad.

I am currently buying a Sovereign 1 month then some silver the next month, planning on holding onto this for a few years as you say.

I just fancied doing something different so thought I'd start with £100 ( i know its not a lot )

I will look at the Gold 1/20th Libertads and I'll check out the 1/20th pandas you say Stackermike is selling.

Thanks again and great info from you youtube channel.

Myblueheaven

8 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Very poor advice

You obviously haven't seen how the 2nd Peter Rabbit crashed and burned, to the original poster, leave the Rabbit well alone, you'll not be making anything there either

He didn't say get a Peter Rabbit coin

He said get a coin that's going to fly like the original Peter Rabbit coin

Also, the second one hasn't crashed and burned, it's selling for £75 on Ebay atm, it cost £60, ok it's not making money right as we speak but it's not a disaster and who knows what it will be doing in 2 years, or 5, or 10

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, shortstack68 said:

It will be spotting like every other proof in that length of time ?

I may not agree fully about this one 

that's because people " used to " the -----superior quality ( not )----- about royal mint 1/2 pound and 50 p silber pp 

I buy / sell and collect 50 p and 2 pound silver proof I never have anyone complain about the milk or tranish as soon as you are honest about it and yes I have full set of this duh duh and I really like them 

And if you are a honest seller you will always get the full asking price even eBay auction 

One two pound does not milk but they do develop black ring on the observe two

50 p are very good quality in general 

Here is part of my collection 

image.jpg

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

forget about the flipping, dude.

It can be done unless you can but in big enough quantities to make p&p negligible then don't bother

Forget about any sort of short term trading too. Most likely you'll just lose money.

Look into matched betting; it's a pretty safe and easy way to make a few hundred £££ in easy free cash. Depending on your aptitude for it and the amount of time you are willing to put into it to then it can become a viable way to have a steady 2nd income.

20 hours ago, CarlosSilver said:

Playing with £100?

27 in a row is just short term variance. what about those streaks that ended after just 4 or 5?

You will lose once in 10 on average and struggle to break even.

Good luck trying but the betting markets are remarkably efficient over the long run and odds are exactly what they say on the tin. Unless you can mathematically prove that you are getting value then you don't have a winning strategy.

2 hours ago, vand said:

forget about the flipping, dude.

It can be done unless you can but in big enough quantities to make p&p negligible then don't bother

Forget about any sort of short term trading too. Most likely you'll just lose money.

Look into matched betting; it's a pretty safe and easy way to make a few hundred £££ in easy free cash. Depending on your aptitude for it and the amount of time you are willing to put into it to then it can become a viable way to have a steady 2nd income.

I've looked into matched betting before but in all honesty couldn't be bothered after getting headache during a tutorial.

I know its good way to make money but I could never really get my head around it.

I might have another look into it this week if I have some pain killers at hand !!!

Thanks for your comments

Myblueheaven

4 hours ago, vand said:

27 in a row is just short term variance. what about those streaks that ended after just 4 or 5?

You will lose once in 10 on average and struggle to break even.

Good luck trying but the betting markets are remarkably efficient over the long run and odds are exactly what they say on the tin. Unless you can mathematically prove that you are getting value then you don't have a winning strategy.

I understand odds perfectly well and I certainly never claimed it was a winning strategy. I do this for a bit of fun. 

Archived