• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Discolouration on sovereign?

Gradius

Hi all, just wondering if this is normal? I've got a sovereign that has discolouration around the top left hand side on the George side.

On the queen side there is a dark spot in front of her nose. Is this ok? Will a dealer still buy it when I want to Sell?

IMG_0208.thumb.JPG.243d349bdf88e5344d1dfe4d7f183072.JPGIMG_0209.thumb.JPG.6c1c5a16fb2faff40ff273e1fc849817.JPG

If it is the correct weight ( and made of 22ct gold ) it will not affect the price a dealer will give you.
Expect 97% of gold spot price on the day or slightly more if lucky; or perhaps spot + 2% here if listed - but as new to the forum you might not find a buyer willing to pay up front.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

If it is the correct weight ( and made of 22ct gold ) it will not affect the price a dealer will give you.
Expect 97% of gold spot price on the day or slightly more if lucky; or perhaps spot + 2% here if listed - but as new to the forum you might not find a buyer willing to pay up front.

I'm not actually looking to sell yet, probably not for a few years, just trying to find out if this sort of discolouration is normal on a gold coin/sovereign. It does weigh up correctly but I'm just not sure if the discolouration is normal.

5 minutes ago, Gradius said:

I'm not actually looking to sell yet, probably not for a few years, just trying to find out if this sort of discolouration is normal on a gold coin/sovereign. It does weigh up correctly but I'm just not sure if the discolouration is normal.

"Newer" gold sovereigns can occasionally exhibit discolouration or spots due to the copper content in the alloy.
Older sovereigns tended to also contain some silver which doesn't ( to the best of my knowledge ) show discolouration as you describe.

My lcs would test it first and probably offer me spot.  If you're daring and want to chance it (at your own risk), you can try to remove the haze by trying ms70 coin brightener or perhaps acetone.  I would probably just work a deal with my lcs on a trade for something else and take a small hit.

On 16/08/2017 at 18:41, Gradius said:

I'm tempted to try lemon juice or vinegar to try and get rid of the big dark spot in front of the queens nose. 

Anybody here tried that and it worked?

Taking into account that this is a common bullion sovereign that you are unhappy with due to a spot, I would think the only way of removing the spot is to use a q-tip with a small amount of silver polish or fine metal polish and give it a rub. You will not devalue the coin as it is only worth 97 - 103% of spot selling to a dealer or privately. Just wondering if perhaps in the coin's history someone dropped a spot of aqua-regia ( the only acid that dissolves pure gold ) to see if the coin was fake ? I assume that would leave a permanent surface mark and if so the only way of removing is to polish it out to bring the underlying metal to the surface.

It turns out that the previous owner put the coin in a foil/baking soda bath to remove a copper spot on the queen side and the mark is left is where the copper spot previously was. Well I suppose it looks better now than having a red spot in it.

I managed to get rid of the discolouration on the other side by wiping it with a cloth so I presume it must have been some sort of residue.

Archived