• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

newbie silver collector struggling to find central knowledge / help

gtw1989

hey,

I'm young. just bought my first house and I'm working class. I'm not exactly able to throw tonnes of money into gold / platinum etc. so until that beautiful day comes I've taken to silver coin collecting, starting with the Britannia's and queen beast's as they aesthetically.

I've collected back until 2011, 2010 backwards seam to be up 250% in price so I understand that the premium definitely increase and makes them a good investment. I watch youtube videos and hear about thing like the lunar series or silver panda's. yet I go to find them and they're either second hand and marked up or not on sale from the original vendors. I also almost bought the firstcoincompany ares god of war but thought "$200 for a coin, that's ridiculous"...only to find it is sold out and going for $1000 on ebaby now...DOH!

how do you get a heads up about the up and coming coins? is there central places that are good to find information about what is coming out and a good investment...or do you literately just keep checking the market for new release and make snap judgement. I'm totally new to this and I'm happy to take any recommendations advice on what to do and how to do it. even if its that I've been a twat and britannias are not a great place to start.

thanks in advance,

Gareth.

i think chasing after medallions like 'Gods of War' is risky. These items can race up in price and then fall like a stone. 

Pandas and Lunars are good coins. There will be a new Panda and Lunar series coming out in the next month or two. Get a few rolls of 1/2oz, 2oz and 5oz Lunar II dogs, these are likely to be a good longer term investment. You will be able to get in on the group buy through goldsilver.be. 

This year i was alerted to the 2017 proof sovereign as it was happening and got in early, i was alerted to the Australian Black Swan and got some off this forum at a really good price, i was alerted to 100 Cedis Leopard and got some through goldsilver.be [i think this will pan out to be a good buy], i started collecting Australian Stock horse and buying through EMK.com - these have been a good series to get into at the prices i managed to buy at. There are other coins appear in the what i received today, what i bought today, offers in gold and silver and so on. You just need to get to know your way round the forum.

Do not go chasing gimmicky pieces of silver. These usually don't pay off in the end. Build up a solid collection of solid good quality coins - you will learn much of what you need to know from this forum and its members youtube videos.  

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

thanks Sixgun, makes me feel better about the medallion. I've start watching youtubers like silver stacker, numistacker etc and they are what brought me to this forum. I'll make sure to give it a thorough read and look out for the new panda / lunar series coming out.

also thank you for the other gold / silver sites. the only ones I'm aware of are the royal mint, bullionbypost and the goldbullion

Shadow Stack just put out great a YouTube video that's tailor-made for a collector/stacker in your position.  I'd encourage you to watch.  He gives some stellar advice.  Good luck!

2 minutes ago, Jester said:

Shadow Stack just put out great a YouTube video that's tailor-made for a collector/stacker in your position.  I'd encourage you to watch.  He gives some stellar advice.  Good luck!

thanks! started now and just subscribed to him!  only half way through but so far so good!

5 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

You could also check out my beginners guides ;)

Also talk with @BackyardBullion as he's kind enough to coordinate Silver Forum group purchases leveraging buying power and minimizing the hit to your bottom line in shipping costs.  That may help you maximize your precious metals (PM) monthly allotment.

1 hour ago, gtw1989 said:

thanks Sixgun, makes me feel better about the medallion. I've start watching youtubers like silver stacker, numistacker etc and they are what brought me to this forum. I'll make sure to give it a thorough read and look out for the new panda / lunar series coming out.

also thank you for the other gold / silver sites. the only ones I'm aware of are the royal mint, bullionbypost and the goldbullion

i often use http://gold.de. It is a price comparison site for German dealers and gives as a quick ballpark price guide for what German dealers are selling at.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

thanks! started now and just subscribed to him!  only half way through but so far so good!

Was he referring to you?

I'm also relatively new. I have a very different approach to investing in PM, and it has got me in hot water with some of the members. [emoji38]

11 hours ago, Gav said:

Was he referring to you?

I'm also relatively new. I have a very different approach to investing in PM, and it has got me in hot water with some of the members. emoji38.png

how are you different? I've not set my head or knowledge to any which way yet, just learning about everyones ways so I'm open to everyone.

how do you do it and have you had much success?

17 hours ago, gtw1989 said:

I've collected back until 2011, 2010 backwards seam to be up 250% in price so I understand that the premium will definitely increase [...] I also almost bought the firstcoincompany ares god of war but thought "$200 for a coin, that's ridiculous"...only to find it is sold out and going for $1000 on ebaby now...DOH!

Don't confuse asking prices with what you will be able to sell your coins for.

I assume you are talking proof Britannias as bullion won't really increase. It's just tax efficient to own Britannias and Beasts if you own kilos of silver and the silver price should one day shoot up. 

Most coins only go up moderately and only after years. And it's very hard to predict even for the experienced stackers here. But sometimes you have a winner because it's rare and for some reason desirable – if you get one of those early you are lucky but if you're too late to the game it becomes more or too risky. Again, when it's late is very hard to predict, too. 

to clarify what I mean, any site I look for a 2010 Britannia (bullion) the price increases to £50+ and before that increases as the age increases but starting off they're around £15-17 a coin, but from what you say dealer sales and second hand value differ on them? interesting to know, I'll check how they sell on ebay maybe I'm doing this all already already :D

I'm actually just stacking bullion Britannia's, I've been collecting one of each year, got a 2011-2017 (including a separate one for the 20th anniversary trident). although after watching shadow stack I think I'll change to bulk buying! I've bought one of each of the queens beast 2oz and the queens beast lion 10oz. the price of going further back just makes it not as efficient.
shadow stack does say to go into 1/20 gold coins so maybe that's where I'll go next. I really don't have the money to bulk buy huge amounts unless I say up and do an annual buy.

from you're last point I've taken its better to stack for amount instead of rarity due to the difficulty of finding good investment rare coins?

Well there are many things that make me different but to touch on some of my differences, I only buy silver and will only buy if spot is below $25. If the price goes up over $25 and the perception of silver hasn't changed, I would hold off on buying.

Just like [mention=714]ShadowStack[/mention] I have a foundation which is what I build on. My foundation is 9999 silver coins that have a security feature. So primarily Silver Maple Leaf coins and Perth Kangaroos. Most people in this community stay away from The Royal Canadian Mint, but I'm different and I do like their products.

I diversify too and pick up higher premium coins and use these coins to swap for more oz for my foundation, this technique I learnt also from the master shadow stack. He has a lot of good ideas and wisdom behind him, well worth watching his YouTube channel. Also it is a good idea to have a diverse selection when you already have a significant stack, so I keep looking for various coins that aren't so common, like Niue turtles, koalas, Rwanda chickens anything that is pretty.

I did get lucky with the 100 Cedis African Leopard coin that I keep calling an error. The price has already more than double and this is without grading results or the mint coming out with a story why they chose a denomination that is illegal in Ghana and then quickly and unexpectedly came out with a 5 Cedi version.

Alerting the community about this coin has got me in hot water with a few members of the community, probably because so many coin collectors that have been doing this for years don't like the fact that a newbie like me called it out as an error when they assumed that I don't know much about coins. Sure they have their classifications but it is always too late to pick up a coin when it is already classed as an error. That or the guys at Scottsdale, that hide as forum members, hate that I keep raising awareness to their booboo.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

Well there are many things that make me different but to touch on some of my differences, I only buy silver and will only buy if spot is below $25. If the price goes up over $25 and the perception of silver hasn't changed, I would hold off on buying.

Just like [mention=714]ShadowStack[/mention] I have a foundation which is what I build on. My foundation is 9999 silver coins that have a security feature. So primarily Silver Maple Leaf coins and Perth Kangaroos. Most people in this community stay away from The Royal Canadian Mint, but I'm different and I do like their products.

I diversify too and pick up higher premium coins and use these coins to swap for more oz for my foundation, this technique I learnt also from the master shadow stack. He has a lot of good ideas and wisdom behind him, well worth watching his YouTube channel. Also it is a good idea to have a diverse selection when you already have a significant stack, so I keep looking for various coins that aren't so common, like Niue turtles, koalas, Rwanda chickens anything that is pretty.

I did get lucky with the 100 Cedis African Leopard coin that I keep calling an error. The price has already more than double and this is without grading results or the mint coming out with a story why they chose a denomination that is illegal in Ghana and then quickly and unexpectedly came out with a 5 Cedi version.

Alerting the community about this coin has got me in hot water with a few members of the community, probably because so many coin collectors that have been doing this for years don't like the fact that a newbie like me called it out as an error when they assumed that I don't know much about coins. Sure they have their classifications but it is always too late to pick up a coin when it is already classed as an error. That or the guys at Scottsdale, that hide as forum members, hate that I keep raising awareness to their booboo.

thank you for sharing, I'll deffinately take a piece of your learning and keep watching through shadow stack, and hey...if you can make it work, then work it ;)

3 hours ago, gtw1989 said:

I'm actually just stacking bullion Britannia's, I've been collecting one of each year, got a 2011-2017 (including a separate one for the 20th anniversary trident).

I've bought one of each of the queens beast 2oz and the queens beast lion 10oz.

shadow stack does say to go into 1/20 gold coins so maybe that's where I'll go next. I really don't have the money to bulk buy huge amounts. 

from you're last point I've taken its better to stack for amount instead of rarity due to the difficulty of finding good investment rare coins?

For bullion coins you shouldn't expect to get more than spot (metal value). So if silver goes up you get more. Maybe the Queens Beasts will become an interesting item for other stackers, in particular the first coins, and when latecomers try to complete their set in 3-5 years they will be prepared to pay a bit more. Bear in mind that silver from the Royal Mint (and others) can develop white spots which can diminish the value of the coin back to spot. 

So there are two ways to make money with a coin: the price of precious metal goes up or the coin becomes sought after and these don't exclude each other. But don't bank on it as it might never happen and you can even loose (some) money. 

If you want to own gold then you can buy fractional coins or bars but beware: there are a lot of fake coins and bars especially on eBay! 

3 minutes ago, augur said:

For bullion coins you shouldn't expect to get more than spot (metal value). So if silver goes up you get more. Maybe the Queens Beasts will become an interesting item for other stackers, in particular the first coins, and when latecomers try to complete their set in 3-5 years they will be prepared to pay a bit more. Bear in mind that silver from the Royal Mint (and others) can develop white spots which can diminish the value of the coin back to spot. 

So there are two ways to make money with a coin: the price of precious metal goes up or the coin becomes sought after and these don't exclude each other. But don't bank on it as it might never happen and you can even loose (some) money. 

If you want to own gold then you can buy fractional coins or bars but beware: there are a lot of fake coins and bars especially on eBay! 

mmm so with maintenance and premium included I might be better off stacking bars for bullion and only collect the ones I'm interested in (queens beast are perrrdy!) or save up for proofs / collectibles.

I have bought a 1/4 sov from bullionbypost, seeing the size put me off (tiny as well as a basic coin) and its made me feel like I should be building a base before diversifying into more gold. shadow stacker video above reinforced this saying I should just buy a load of bullion first, but he has around 6500 ounces of silver coinage. god knows why as it sounds like a bad idea from the great feedback you guys are giving?

has anyone used www.silver-to-go.com. its offering VAT free silver but I'm unsure of wether its safe or dodgy?

.... but he has around 6500 ounces of silver coinage. god knows why as it sounds like a bad idea from the great feedback you guys are giving?

Well that is his foundation, and it is primarily bullion coins. When the time comes to sell you don't want to have to wait months before you can sell.

If you came with 6000 oz of silver in bars you would need to sell well below spot to sell quickly, if they were coins you probably wouldn't have much problem selling at spot.

Silver-to-Go is the same company as Coininvest [as far as i know] and Coininvest is a sponsor of this forum. They are safe.

You bought a 1/4 sovereign but you didn't like it. It was very tiny. Now you know not to get 1/4 sovereigns. Whole or half sovereigns are the basic gold coins you should be buying. People don't collect 1/4 sovereigns much. i have a few but only a very few.

Do not complicate things with what someone else is doing with a multi-thousand ounce silver stack. People who have amassed a big stack like this usually took time to get there, i did. These stacks are a waiting game, you have a long way to travel before you have the 'headache' multiples of your own body weight.

If you are starting out don't complicate things. Get full and half gold sovereigns from the likes of Hatton Garden Metals. This cannot be repeated often enough. You aren't going to lose on these coins. They are absolutely solid, they will build your confidence. Then keep your eyes peeled for coins on the silver forum selling side. You will see good value coins here. Anything else decent will be mentioned here. Compare the prices here with dealer price say on http://gold.de and the sold for prices of ebay - factor in the postage. If someone is selling a number of prices they might do a deal or they might throw in postage for less. Keep it simple

29 minutes ago, Gav said:

Well that is his foundation, and it is primarily bullion coins. When the time comes to sell you don't want to have to wait months before you can sell.

If you came with 6000 oz of silver in bars you would need to sell well below spot to sell quickly, if they were coins you probably wouldn't have much problem selling at spot.

ahhh I see. coming from a customer service job role, this is clearly showing my mercantile weakness when it comes to commodities.

4 hours ago, Gav said:

Alerting the community about this coin has got me in hot water with a few members of the community, probably because so many coin collectors that have been doing this for years don't like the fact that a newbie like me called it out as an error when they assumed that I don't know much about coins.

Chill out man, you don't need a flack jacket here, but don't assume the motives of other members.;)

You may have incurred a little hostility from one or two but that was simply because you were coming across as a little eager and were seemingly trying to pump up the price.

If you want to do that, use Facebook or other forums; most people here just want to help not exploit each other.:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

14 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Silver-to-Go is the same company as Coininvest [as far as i know] and Coininvest is a sponsor of this forum. They are safe.

You bought a 1/4 sovereign but you didn't like it. It was very tiny. Now you know not to get 1/4 sovereigns. Whole or half sovereigns are the basic gold coins you should be buying. People don't collect 1/4 sovereigns much. i have a few but only a very few.

Do not complicate things with what someone else is doing with a multi-thousand ounce silver stack. People who have amassed a big stack like this usually took time to get there, i did. These stacks are a waiting game, you have a long way to travel before you have the 'headache' multiples of your own body weight.

If you are starting out don't complicate things. Get full and half gold sovereigns from the likes of Hatton Garden Metals. This cannot be repeated often enough. You aren't going to lose on these coins. They are absolutely solid, they will build your confidence. Then keep your eyes peeled for coins on the silver forum selling side. You will see good value coins here. Anything else decent will be mentioned here. Compare the prices here with dealer price say on http://gold.de and the sold for prices of ebay - factor in the postage. If someone is selling a number of prices they might do a deal or they might throw in postage for less. Keep it simple

ok thank you, I'll give them a try come payday :) see if I can get 25 ounces just to finish my silver for now and then try hatton garden metals to build half and full sovs, you've deffinately sold it and I've got some confidence in those coins. thanks for that as well, I haven't heard of them and it doesn't show in a generic google search.

ok I see, I think I'm starting to see what people have referred to in these forums as a "mature stacker". this definately is a long game with patience! loads of different things to take into account, who knows PM's where so complicated!

5 hours ago, gtw1989 said:

any site I look for a 2010 Britannia (bullion) the price increases to £50+

well you've found this place now and I'm sure lots of members here would sell you a 2010 bully Brit for a lot less than £50, I know I would.

Just put up a "wanted" ad in the sales section.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived