• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Philip Retirement Coin

Sovereign

I bought a silver one. Sterling silver so no fear of spotting. Portrait is a smashing throwback to a bygone era and I like the connection between the designer/artist and the portrait and the classic 1937 design. Nice touch.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphrey_Paget

http://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/history/people/artists/humphrey-paget/index

The portrait of George VI

Following the abdication in December 1936, Paget alone was commissioned to prepare the uncrowned effigy urgently required for coins and medals of George VI. If there were doubts about this course of action, Paget dispelled them brilliantly, for in a little more than a month he produced what has been described as the classic coinage head of the 20th century.

Simple, unaffected, well-balanced, it was as near perfect from a technical point of view as the Royal Mint could have hoped for. More than any other design it may be said to typify Paget’s work and is almost certainly the design which he himself regarded as his best.

Later commissions

Paget’s most productive period followed the Second World War. Some of his many commissions are detailed below.

• Coins for Bolivia, British Caribbean Territories, Central African Federation, Iraq, Isle of Man, Jordan, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Arabia, Southern Rhodesia, Uruguay and Western Samoa

• Seals for the Central African Federation, the South Arabian Currency Authority and the National Coal Board

• Medals for the Victoria Numismatic Society, the Society of Chemical Industry and the Royal Society of Medicine

Particular mention deserves to be made of his head of Faisal II for the Iraq coinage, for which the schoolboy king gave sittings at Harrow, and of the reverse design for the Southern Rhodesia crown of 1953 which incorporated so many diverse elements in a space of only 35mm that it must be considered a design triumph. Another that should be counted among his best is a medallic portrait of the Duke of Edinburgh, his last major commission.

Undoubtedly Paget ranks as one of the most prolific and outstanding of the Royal Mint’s panel of artists during the first half of the 20th century.

57 minutes ago, whitesands1 said:

All 3,000 Sterling Silver Proofs now sold!  A very low mintage for a Proof Commemorative Crown/£5.

The RM seems to have a good following these days.

When people saw the gold coin sold out in minutes! All gone for the silver proofs ,,

25 minutes ago, whitesands1 said:

Not sure!  fear of missing out kicking in!  LOL!

Don't let it get you!  Think of something else...isn't that what we tell ourselves in other situations ;)

I'd be willing to bet it's F.O.M.O. disease that caused the sellout in the first place.  As we get flooded with new coins on a weekly basis each with its own hype train, I just repeat my mantra to stay on the path, "A fool and his money are quickly parted."  Stay strong!

Fear and greed exist in the coin world as much as the stockmarket. These types of coins are purely for collecting. For me, it is because I like the design, just like buying a painting or a good book.

Indeed, there's a point at which coin collecting can get ridiculous. With so many mints releasing so many commemoratives for various anniversaries and occasions, one has got to learn to keep a level head. It's hard though.

My own approach is asking myself whether I would be happy keeping a coin even if it fell in value. For the SotD, my answer for myself would be yes, which is why I went for it even though it was pricey for me.

There is collecting, investing, stacking, aesthetics, flipping, holding, rational, irrational and many many more facets to all this but if you talk to people about it, they just roll their eyes up and you can see them putting you in their, "Do not invite to next party" mind folder....lol

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

There is collecting, investing, stacking, aesthetics, flipping, holding, rational, irrational and many many more facets to all this but if you talk to people about it, they just roll their eyes up and you can see them putting you in their, "Do not invite to next party" mind folder....lol

Hehehahaha! :D

Archived