• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Philip Retirement Coin

Sovereign

was waiting for someone to start a topic about this coin lol
so no 1/4oz gold ?! 
only 3 coins been released! .. the £5 gold sold out already with only 300 minted (£1935) 
hope [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] bought one to review it [emoji13]

what's your thoughts on this coin ? 

Financially it's a loser. Maybe all the slitty eye Chinese bought them )) not one for me but he has done a great job and his retirement is well earned.

I think if you want the Silver Proof for your personal collection, it's certainly not an unappealing coin (unlike another coin that shall not be named the RM recently offered).  Would have been cool if they used the younger portrait of QEII to match the young portrait of Philip.  Does the Queen's portrait have to be the most recent or just the Queen?  Mintage of 3000 is respectably low'ish :)

29 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

...... but he has done a great job and his retirement is well earned.

Not sure Diana would have said the same.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I think this is another one of those commemoratives that appeal to nostalgia. It's certainly not a bad coin; in fact I do like the aesthetic. And of course he was a very handsome man in his younger years, and they've done well to use a younger portrait.  

I agree it's definitely not a coin meant for financial investment though, and I'm inclined to assume the £5s have mostly been taken up by dealers.

2 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

More likely a play on Prince Phillip's own words rather than a conscious slant against the Chinese...

Lighten up, old bean! ;) 

Spot on

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/prince-philip/8544598/Duke-of-Edinburgh-defends-slitty-eyed-gaffe.html 

I did chuckle reading the article as they highlight a few of the Prince's other noteworthy off-the-cuff comments that you just don't say nowadays...

41 minutes ago, Silverstackeruk said:

My apologies....didn't realise the old **** said that...hope he dies this year now..old ****..

One thing that bothers me more then anything is racism..

It was 25 years ago and he is from a totally different generation, I think it's a bit unfair to judge him by today's standards

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

It's a nice portrait 

Maybe if they could have put a younger portrait of Liz to go with it, it would have been nice

They're also doing coins for their platinum wedding - https://m.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2825472

‘For the obverse impression Our effigy conjoined with His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh with the inscription “ELIZABETH II D G REG F D · PHILIP PRINCEPS ·” and the denomination “1000 POUNDS”, and for the reverse a depiction of Our arms and those of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh above the inscription “70 YEARS OF MARRIAGE · 2017 ·”. The coin shall have a grained edge.’

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

An evil man imo who 'groomed' Liz (who I have a lot of stories about, from when she was older) when she was a young pubescent girl.

To be expected I guess (?) when your uncle and controller (Mountbatten) is a murderous paedophile psychopath who introduced Jimmy Savile to the 'royal' family, as first a friend of Philip and then a mentor to Charlie.

Not too bad a coin but I think I'll pass on this one!

4 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Diana was a little flaky as I recall...

even so that is no reason to kill her.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

More likely a play on Prince Phillip's own words rather than a conscious slant against the Chinese...
Lighten up, old bean! [emoji6] 

Funny cause I also thought that Numistacker was joking about a silly foul mouth old man. I'm not English and I know P Phillip was a bit of a foul mouth racist.

Then again you can never tell what type of expression was intended when a comment is written.

Funny cause I also thought that Numistacker was joking about a silly foul mouth old man. I'm not English and I know P Phillip was a bit of a foul mouth racist.

Then again you can never tell what type of expression was intended when a comment is written.

He always had a reputation for foot in mouth disease particularly on foreign tours. My mum suffered the same condition.

He always had a reputation for foot in mouth disease particularly on foreign tours. My mum suffered the same condition.

I definitely have put my foot in my mouth a few too many times. So I guess I can't talk. He was a funny person. He probably thought that he was king of the world.

Archived