• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Hi,

Basically new to all pm, crypto etc.

Getting small collection of everything and now found a company i want to biy shares in. O have no idea how.

Do i need trading 212, a broker i literally have no idea.

Any help and advice on platforms or a dummoes guide would be greatly appreciated

If you want to buy the actual shares and own the underlying asset (the shares) you will need to buy through a broker, most charge about £12.50 per trade (although some cheaper) so don't make much sense to do unless each trade is sizeable so that the cost of that fee is negligible.

Note that trading and investing in shares are different, trading tends to be shorter time scales and in and out in a relatively short time frame.

Buying shares in the UK is relatively expensive and traders may instead use CFD's (Contracts for differences) or other derivatives to trade the market, rather than buying the actual underlying asset they are trading on a derivative that follows the price of the underlying asset. 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing MSE website here should be a very helpful read, it is about buying shares.

I am not sure what platform @RichRock uses when trading.

If you are in the UK use a good broker to buy shares to hold.  If you are buying a sector eg mining and you like Rio Tinto and you want to hold then buy the share and collect each year and reinvestment. 

Or if you just want to follow the market then buy a tracker with very low fees.  

If you don't understand then go to money weekly web site they run a investing for beginners email course for free. 

On 14/08/2017 at 00:31, ChrisSIlver said:

If you want to buy the actual shares and own the underlying asset (the shares) you will need to buy through a broker, most charge about £12.50 per trade (although some cheaper) so don't make much sense to do unless each trade is sizeable so that the cost of that fee is negligible.

Note that trading and investing in shares are different, trading tends to be shorter time scales and in and out in a relatively short time frame.

Buying shares in the UK is relatively expensive and traders may instead use CFD's (Contracts for differences) or other derivatives to trade the market, rather than buying the actual underlying asset they are trading on a derivative that follows the price of the underlying asset. 

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/cheap-online-sharedealing MSE website here should be a very helpful read, it is about buying shares.

I am not sure what platform @RichRock uses when trading.

Thanks for the general advice. I'm new to the Forum and to investing on my own behalf so found comments on trading useful. Reference to Money Saving Expert could well be something to follow up.

why do you regard buying shares in the U.K. As relatively expensive? I've assumed that the trading fee is reasonable if one buys a large number?

If you are serious about trading in shares [and futures and bonds] then you should look into selling options.

i have tastytrade on Amazon Firestick running quite a bit during the day. It is American but it is a good 'TV channel' where they aren't selling you anything and you watch them trading options with their own money. There is a lot of research presented and tips. They have a website tastytrade.com with an education section. It may seen overwhelming for a start but if you stick at it you soon pick it up. i use Interactive Brokers as my broker - i have a full blown platform Trader Workstation. Tastytrade have recently started their own broker tastyworks which has competitive fees and a good platform which is simpler that Trader Workstation,

It is not that difficult to learn to trade options - you are generally selling options which is what the professionals do. You can buy a lot of shares through options at a discount. 

This may be more complicated than many want to get involved with but if you are serious it is a good option, pun intended.

Edited by sixgun